Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Graveyard Dilemma

I think there’s something wrong, nowadays. I cannot sleep well. I don’t know how this happen, when it started, and why I am experiencing this abnormality. I guess earlier that it’s merely because of the warmness of my room that cause me awaken in the middle of the day, but it did become a frequent picture. I sleep right away when I got home from work and unexpectedly awaken by 2 or 3 with a bad feeling of headache because of lack of sleep. After an hour or two of staying in my bed, keep shifting my position and maintaining a close – eye, I fall asleep again then need to wake up by 7. A bad and scatter sleeping pattern, is it? What a nightmare in a daytime!

I’ve been working at night for a year, since I graduated from college. At first, it seems that everything works fine. I arrive home early, go to bed and take the whole 8 hours of sleep, wake up at 7 then go to the office again. Of course, since it is night - there’s no traffic, no sticky feeling, no irritating heat of the sun and no stampede in the MRT station. I started to love the shift that whenever someone asked for my preferred shift I promptly answer – night shift!


Good for me also because I am a nocturnal person and I like working at night rather than daylight. With 30% night differential (yeah!) consolation, a very nice relief and substitute to the impose government taxes which always takes big percentage of our gross income. Who can be unhappy of that?


Yet it never be the same again, I am now suffering in an abnormal sleeping manner. Hanna, my officemate told me that in her opinion everyone working at night also experience more or less the same thing and go through in this problem too. The trouble in my part, I can’t figure out good solution for it. That’s why sometimes I’m forcing myself to sleep late in the morning to feel drowsy and sleepy, just for me to achieve the 6 hours of straight sleep without any interruption.


I don’t know if this is psychological because this often occurs whenever I’m thinking excessively that I can’t help to stop my brain from thinking. Even though my eyes are closed, my brain still does the processing of various things with no stop. Sometimes I also feel that the back of my head is aching too much, a very intolerable pain that I can’t stop pressing it hard of my hand until it’s gone.

Do you think this is a serious problem? Do you have any idea about this? Thanks. Oh by the way, don’t mind my poor English. *wink*

No comments: